Special Topic Prerequisite: Fundamentals of Wheelworking or Handbuilding
Sharon Campus / CER084SA
Instructor: John Baymore
April 6, 7, 8 (loading)
April 12, 13, 14 (firing)
- Cost per share is $199
- Space allotted in the kiln per share is two kiln shelves (though your work is spread throughout the kiln). As each shelf is 1ft x 2ft, the total space for your work is t 4sq. ft. per share (please note: we do not specify height or calculate cubic feet)
- Participation per share includes 2 out of the 3-days of loading between Friday, April 6 – Sunday, April 8 (each day is approximately 6 hours and mixed between discussion led by John Baymore about the science, art, strategy, and technique of stacking the kiln; preparation of the work and kiln; as well as the actual loading of the ware).
- Participation per share also includes 2 out of the 10 shifts over the firing (shifts begin Friday, April 13 at 6am, and end Sunday, April 14 at 6pm.... shifts during the firing are broken into 6 hour blocks -- midnight – 6am; 6am – noon; noon – 6pm; 6pm – midnight)
- Participants may purchase multiple shares. $398 total; four shelves (8sq. ft. total) of space; three days participation in loading; and four 6-hour shifts.
- The firing is a combination of Community Education workshop participants and undergraduate Ceramic students from our BFA program.
- In the loading of the kiln, we do our very best to fit as much of the work as possible. That said, the loading of the kiln is mostly dictated by how well the work fits according to shape and size.
- As we do not consider cubic footage, you are welcome to bring tall work, as it helps the overall load (9” and 13” are especially helpful).
Join us for the spring firing of the NHIA “Fushigigama”, an anagama-style wood kiln on our Sharon Arts Campus. For more specific information, please contact our team CERegistration@nhia.edu or (603) 836-2564.